Server Change Discussion

We got some good feedback from the Google Form on server changes, though not a lot of responses. I would like to invite everyone to discuss some of the feedback we got. For the raw numbers, we only had 7 people respond and here are the results of the votes:

Overall this shows there is support for some kind of change in the server. Ironically most of the support is for either a major change that doesn’t reset everything or a change that does. The vast majority would like to know more about the server change or are good with whatever. To that vein, I’d like to open up to everyone to start a bit of a brainstorming discussion of what kinds of changes we might like to have.

We also had some commentary which may guide our discussion. I did not collect names on anything submitted, so it is entirely anonymous. I’m going to put my own comments after these, but I want to make it clear this is not a decree of what we’re going to do. I’m going to give my opinion or thoughts on, but the point is to get feedback on what we can do / what we want to do as a community.

Perhaps we can have a list of some roles / opportunities availiable, for those who want their characters to be more involved, such as who are station masters and what are they over, admiralty. and the like. Depending on what’s going on with the revamp, having some lore on standby may allow for easier character making and integration into the story.

I honestly think this sounds like a great idea. A list of available charter slots has been something that I’ve been thinking of for a while. I will need help to keep it updated if we’re going to do it though.

It might be nice to set maybe some abandoned chars as NPCs.

I am not opposed to that. I have noticed that some of our players who left specifically went in and wiped out their character sheets, which I have respected. I would like to get some more feedback on this as a persons characters are theirs. I don’t want to just steamroller over someone or act like I / we own a character because it is posted. Legal copyright aside (that gets complicated for characters), I’d like to get some more feedback on this.

• Spread the universally important characters onto the entire staff team. That way, if players want to play important plot points, they don’t need to wait for one specific person.
  • Thin out vessels: Yes, the original idea was to encourage players to do their own stories. Clearly, they’d rather participate in stories of the few instead of owning their ship.

Not a bad idea on either part. I really wanted this to be a setting where people had their own ships that storylines could take place on. Ships and even stations being areas where players have more control on within the framework to do storylines for. For the first, I’ve considered, for a while, turning important characters into NPC’s of sorts that they can get picked up and people can run them.

I have noticed that when I try to spread things out, people don’t pick up important characters if they are already made. I would be interested to know what people think about how to do this. I’m perfectly ok with having important characters able to be picked up by staff.

Just more for characters to do. I’ve kinda lost interest because there just isn’t much happening. That and we could use new, active members. Maybe put the server on Disboard?

I think we are on Disboard, IIRC. I know this is a problem, but I’m not sure how to fix it. It’s a problem most RP forums I’ve been apart of have had. Gathering people to join your game is always difficult.

Specifically, the ability to do plots. BU is very limited on what plots can be done since the military in the setting seems invincible a lot of the time. EoS is confined mostly to some castles a single village and a giant forest, not much on a feel for the other kingdoms on Soteria. AS is the most capable for plots since it’s in a very robust and busy city with a supernatural underbelly, and I think that the other settings should follow that kind of setting.

The military in BU is very powerful. I can understand why they might seem to be invincible. I’ve thought about typing up a kind of help document about how someone might combat different military powers, things that would help provide a starting point for someone ho wanted to do a story but don’t want the uber-powerful military putting the hammer down. I’m not sure, would that be helpful?

As far as EoS… It is a problem not having more defined, but building out a world is a lot of work (most of you know this). Eventually my own creative energies get depleted and then I get on weird tangents of things that won’t leave my brain. I’m not opposed to building out more in EoS but my original idea was to have people build out some of the other nations in more detail and going from there.

Maybe the staff should think about creating a whole character page in wiki format for the players to fill out when submitting a new character. When the approver only needs to paste the sheet from the players onto the wiki, it’s faster than meticulously picking parts of the sheet from an online form which can’t be changed after submission.

This is understandable concern. I had, a long time ago, wanted to write a Discord bot to actually automate the process and pull the data from the Google Form. I like having the Google Form because people did not want to post character submissions to the Forum, which is where I wanted them to go. I ended up frequently having to look things up in the stream of chart in #pheonix-nebula or even other chat rooms. I wouldn’t mind abandoning the form, but I want all the character submissions in one place. I have found that new players seldom read the Wiki about character submission rules and the form also gives me a place to put information about what each field actually means. I still don’t know if anyone actually reads them.

I am not opposed, at all, to revamping the character submission system. I have also thought about requiring new players to submit a writing sample. I am concerned that sometimes things about our server may push away experienced and active players. I’m not sure what to actually do about this though.

With what was said on the forum about making something of Molten Aether’s own kind of universe, that gives me thoughts of something complicated, like our own magic system or rules for how vampires and undead people work or something like that, that just seems unnecessary and unwelcoming to new players. One thing I thought of off the top of my head for a starting idea, on something more digestible, is a sort of hub with whatever theme we make up in its own dimension that connects the settings, so it can all be under one roof and connected.

As I said on the Wordpress post, creating my own world / universe has been something I’ve been considering for a while. It is a lot of work to even get it to a minimally playable point. I have also thought about revamping the settings to be all our own system but having the medieval stuff taking place on a planet, modern horror stuff on another planet, and the SciFi stuff taking place in space / on other planets. The idea being that everything is going on in the same time period just different worlds are different technology levels.

I like the magic system I’ve come up with but it is vague, there are few hard rules. In Angelic Sins we also have a lot of carryover from a previous incarnation, so that might also be good to redo.

Again, I’m open to thoughts and suggestions.

Perhaps we can have a list of some roles / opportunities availiable, for those who want their
characters to be more involved, such as who are station masters and what are they over, admiralty. and the like. Depending on what’s going on with the revamp, having some lore on standby may allow for easier character making and integration into the story.

I honestly think this sounds like a great idea. A list of available charter slots has been something
that I’ve been thinking of for a while. I will need help to keep it updated if we’re going to do it though.

I agree. A comprehensible list of leading characters is at the moment only available directly on the wiki pages of their respective entities. As in, the leading officers for Nimbus Station are listed on the page for Nimbus Station.

It might be nice to set maybe some abandoned chars as NPCs.

I am not opposed to that either; People, who are missing an abandoned characters should be able to continue the story with that character.
I’d like to note that we might have to think about getting consent from the author who abandoned the character.

For the first, I’ve considered, for a while, turning important characters into NPC’s of sorts that they can get picked up and people can run them.

I’d prefer if the playing as important characters is restricted to the staff team. We are blessed with very reasonable players, but I think consent to possibly big changes to the game (which is what you possibly do by playing important characters such as Admiral Thomas) should be reserved to staff.

I have noticed that when I try to spread things out, people don’t pick up important characters if they are already made.

Which might generally speaking be true. “spreading out staff characters” might be unfortunate wording there, since you’re just making the ability of playing them available to staff (who should already know which characters to play).

Just more for characters to do. I’ve kinda lost interest because there just isn’t much happening. That and we could use new, active members. Maybe put the server on Disboard?

We’re already on disboard. All members are welcome to bump the server regularly. For commands refer to #electric-dreams on discord.

The military in BU is very powerful. I can understand why they might seem to be invincible. I’ve thought about typing up a kind of help document about how someone might combat different military powers, things that would help provide a starting point for someone ho wanted to do a story but don’t want the uber-powerful military putting the hammer down. I’m not sure, would that be helpful?

I’d very much welcome that too. Such a document would be extremely helpful, especially for villain arcs.

Maybe the staff should think about creating a whole character page in wiki format for the players to fill out when submitting a new character. When the approver only needs to paste the sheet from the players onto the wiki, it’s faster than meticulously picking parts of the sheet from an online form which can’t be changed after submission.

I am going to drop the ball on that one: It was my suggestion, born from another hour of adding characters to the wiki which left me pretty annoyed.
I’ll try to think of a way to ease the process, since the forms do seem to be the best way to do this.

A few general thoughts of mine:
Both a hard reset and a minor revamp have their difficulties.
In a reset, we will need to figure out how to store the obsolete information, do the reset and heave the game from the ground again. The advantage here is that we’re taking the game as it is, toss it into a chest and start with a clean slate.
In a revamp, we will need to identify the small and large screws we need to tighten and loosen. The analytics are the most work here. Plus we will need to figure out what to do with the abandoned stories, of which there are many, and deal with them.
Overally, a revamp contains the most workload in my opinion, be it a good or bad attribute.

I think most of the ideas are good here but obviously without manpower they won’t come into fruition. It’s not enough to simply just let one person take on the whole thing alone. That being said I’d be willing to help with EoS lore or taking over the setting.

Also the magic system doesn’t need to be extremely strict since this isn’t a tabletop rp. I think a few vague rules and one general roll for harder spells might do better in the long run.

1 Like

I’ll respond not in order of points

While i like the idea, i dont think everyone should be able to pick them up, people that we know can be trusted, know how to RP and we know that they know the universe definitely could do that though

List of important positions with character occupying them/pointing out its free for another character could really help when people want to hop in as part of ST staff

That is something thats a really good idea, militiary in BU is strong and it can definitely be a detterent to plots. This kind of document would defintley help people builds plots that cant just be hammered by militiary.

We definitely are on disboard, and i think couple other places, and we also ocassionally post link in Portal. Issue is mainly that people dont want to join. We defintely could try to improve server description we publish but thats topic for after/if revamp is done

To add to that, if anyone wants to run a plot ussually there is some staff member around to help, or for you to ask questions
I try to keep eye on server even if i appear offline so feel free to ping me at any time, i ussually forget to switch online after work

I personally think that players should be able to create more “important” (to call it) characters, but those should be checked more throughrouly by staff.

As much as “each character has a ship” is nice thing, it adds to another issue, mentioned earlier: Militiary strength of BU.

Now, this is really nice idea, but it would require cooperation with leaving people, so if they dont want that to happen they can let us know about that. We wouldnt want to get opinion that we steal characters and use them as NPCs when people leave

I think these ideas are fascinating, a way to manage abandoned chars would be good. I do agree consent would be required before anything like that could be done.

I think there’s positives and negatives to both a full reset and a revamp. A full reset can give opportunities for players to revamp / resubmit or otherwise their own characters, or create alternate versions of their characters, and storylines, even resetting backstories. A revamp would require players keep what they have, and possibly revamp some of their characters abilities, and backstories to fit the new setting.

in addition, a full reset, the good could be grabbed from the current / old setting and applied to the new setting, and if it’s desired to break away from using other lore from other sources, at least in an excessive case, then a reset may be the way to go, with allowing input from others during the creation process: genre, politics, lore items, and background on the world around them could receive a lot of input, which during the creation could be a lot at first, afterwards a form could be filled out or shared on discord to build up the lore and expand what may be missing.

I’d be happy to help with lore pieces and other areas where I can.

I would really invite the help on both fronts. The work you’re doing with the Dwend is just amazing and I really like it. You’re welcome to start tossing things up about EoS, if you want something more organized I’m going to, very soon, do a cleaning of the Trello account. I really don’t care for it myself, since we just don’t have the $$ to pay for a proper project management system. Even so, it has its uses.

I’m also open to other ways to organize what’s going on.

I agree on this point, there should be some kind of application process to consider for picking up abandoned characters.

Seems like there is a lot of support for this idea, it would require being updated frequently. There are several pages on the Wiki that need to be regularly updated and are not. For me it is a manpower and time issue.

I will start thinking about the document, again there seems to be wide support for this idea.

Here is another larger issue that we’re fighting. I get that people would like more to do and that running something is hard. People have made attempts at running plots that didn’t go so well and there is the real problem of players dropping out. The Zone is an excellent example. We start with players and people get bored and bail. I’m not singingly anyone out, I myself have bailed and such when life gets hard.

I’m really not sure how to address this part. It’s hard to get people to run plots when you can post and post and such to your hearts content and people often times just quit playing. I think that is at the very heart of the issues with the server itself – engagement.

Another google form is easily created, this time just with three questions:

• Discord Player ID
  • Wiki Link of the Abandoned Character you’d like to make an NPC from.
  • Reasoning.

I think i pointed that out in a private convo between us: We’re, as the staff, not as independent from you, the uberboss, as we should; If you know of pages that need updating, create a trello card, assign it to someone/drop someone of your staff team a message. I am sure, we’re all willing to help.
The difficulty is (at least for me) where to direct that willpower to.

I don’t know if this helps but there is a bot written in ruby that I made a clone from the repository once and they do something similar. It’s a guided character application submission through Direct Message that lines the required and suggested fields, as well as sending an optional document in case it happens to fill all the requirements. Then the application is sent to a channel on Discord where it can be evaluated by the staff. If approved, a command is issued and the character is added to that player’s character list, the role is automatically given and they can start roleplaying. If not, another command is issued, with the option explaining why it was not approved. While this is about a hard yes and a hard no with a reason, I believe it could be modified or the chat between player and staff member could receive an incentive to help adapt the application, so it is falling in the format required or in the character creation rules. While it works well for discord, as this is a discord centric bot, it may neglect the forum. But I don’t see it as a problem as a similar solution could be implemented for a discourse bot.

The name of the bot in question used to be Mettaton. Upon searching on Google, I couldn’t find the original repository but I still have the clone I did years ago, in case JS or another bot expert want to take a look. No documentation would result in having to study the code to know what it does exactly. Not even I remember. But if I find the original repository, I will amend to this reply.

Edit: Found it. It’s archived but I think some tinkering in ruby would get this bot back to running shape:

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Ryu.

If that’s a viable way to replace the google forms, I’d be willing to spend some time on it - given that I’ve never took a dive in ruby before, it’ll be some weeks before we have something working - Time I am not sure I have.

What I already did though, is a small script that connects to google drive and converts the answers of the form to a wiki page. It’s not automated, but it’s definitely easier than copy-pasting the answers manually.

I’ll need to figure some things, then I’ll hand out a copy of that script to the staff.

1 Like

I think we’re definitely agreed on this point.

Things have gotten a bit out of control. I would like to assign a Trello card to do such things but, no one listens. Only you, myself, Cyber, and Choas are on the Trello that I know of and even then, I can’t assign anything and expect it to get done. I’m not even saying that with judgement hostility. I would like to figure out how to have a system for things like that getting done. Same with storyline elements to write.

This is something I come back to often really. If I need it to get done, I kind of have to do it. Which is fine, it is my server and all. I’m not sure how to get help in getting things done, honestly.

I hadn’t even heard of ruby when I stumbled on that bot. All I did was change some lines, either to change the ID of channels and roles, change the required fields and the message that appear for users, among other things like the prefix. For a first experience with ruby, it was only a matter of observe the code. Means that it’s down in the bot’s code which are the channels it acts on. As far as I know, there are no commands for easy set up on a new server so if you ever find time to test it, would need to do on the actual server or on a test server. Either one, considering how the channel it posts the applications would be staff only anyways. As for the other commands, up to you to leave active or not to not be redundant to what the other bots in the server have.

Alright, so I’m starting to build our list of open positions. For now I’m going to put it up on the Wordpress. I think I’m going to require submission of a writing sample to take one of the positions, to show the player has the ability to actually write well for a position of in-game authority.