Had but I Served with Half the Zeal I Served my King (Lance and Bucket)

He nods a bit, “You going to stay on the station?” Lance asks but Bucket could tell that he wasn’t done with the subject even though it seemed like a subject change.

“Where else would I go? Besides, I’d like to help out still. Maybe as a medic or something.”

“There is a lot of universe out there.” he says casually and then looks at him a bit longer, “I don’t know for sure, but someone like you whose been there, could be of a big help to a lot of people. The line of work of a spy traveling in time, all of that, well, it leaves it’s mark. If you want something to do here, could see if anyone else wants to talk?”

“I’m no counselor…” He shook his head. “I’d rather not do that kind of thing.”

Lance nods, “I didn’t say you were, just thought I’d mention…” he looks around, “Experience is always valuable, even bad ones.” shrugging he then says, “Could put you on an exploratory ship, we have a few survey ships that go here and there. It’s dull work for a soldier, but for someone whose retired, I imagine it might be nice to see what there is to see.”

“Exploratory… I like the sound of that. Sounds a bit more calm.” He takes a sip of his drink.

He smiles, “Well, we’re planning on sending out some exploratory vessels soon, could use a scout pilot if you wanted to be alone, pair you with an AI… Or, put you on a larger ship?” This seems to have shifted his attention from what he actually on his mind to something easier to talk about. Still, Bucket can tell that he still has the other things on his mind.

“I don’t want to be alone.” Bucket replies. “I just want to serve on a ship that isn’t getting shot at, to get a break.”

“I know the feeling.” he says, leaning back a bit, “I suppose that’s why I took the desk rather than just continue going out into the field.” he says a bit wistfully. “Listen, there aren’t a lot of people outside my chain of command that understand such things.” he starts, then forces himself to go forward, “You’re certainly fit to serve on a shit, in fact we are preparing and exploratory vessel with the Concord now, I will… See about putting you on board, but I would also…” he thinks, “Look I’ll look into the ship for you either way, but as a separate issue, perhaps you’d be open to, talking more?”

“Thank you Lance.” He nodded. “And uh, I don’t suppose I’d mind talking again.”