Creating a Personality

A lot of people find personality to be the most difficult thing to create. So I thought I’d show people the process I’m using right now to so do, especially if I don’t have something else in mind.

First off, there is this excellent site; Personality Generator. It has two modes, simple and detailed.

Simple

Now, I used it just now and it gives me a series of words…

Distrusting, Warm, Violent and Boring

A lot of our character bios on the Wiki start out that way. Just some words, but those words don’t really say a lot and it can be hard to know what to do with them. This is amazing if you already have some ideas on where you want to go but need some creative help.

So, if I was going to do this I would never leave it at just those words. Rather they need to be in some kind of a paragraph that communicates what they mean in the context of a personality. Right now I’m creating a profile for the XIA for the STV Zealot Star. This is Sal D’Amico’s ship and thus the XIA for it should go along with him somewhat.

Starting out here…

People are made up of contradictions and this has a lot of contradicting concepts in it. In fact Boring throws a bit of a monkey wrench in the whole thing, and that means it is going to be the most difficult (and thus most interesting) part of the personality description. How is a person that is Distrusting and Violent going to be boring? Well, lets answer that, the character’s name is going to be Lucienne so…

Lucienne, who goes by Lucy more often than not, seems boring on the outside.

That solves the boring bit, but we’ve got to integrate it with the others.

Lucienne, who goes by Lucy more often than not, seems boring on the outside since she doesn’t socialize much, tending to be distrusting of others and keeping to herself.

Ok, so we’ve got that she seems boring and why she seems boring. Now, the other two are very good words to describe different aspects. When I see a powerful action-word such as Violent I think immediately of reaction to stress. When I see something like Warm I think about how the person reacts to people. Since we’ve just written that she’s distrusting, if she’s going to be warm she’s probably only going to display that to people she trusts.

Lucienne, who goes by Lucy more often than not, seems boring on the outside since she doesn’t socialize much, tending to be distrusting of others and keeping to herself. Though she finds it hard to make friends because of her issues with trust, when she does she tends to be a very warm person to those few who’ve gotten to know her. The lack of trust can be a problem though, she doesn’t really know how to talk to people that she doesn’t know very well and when presented with a stressful situation reverts to outbursts, sometimes even violently when she can’t see a way to resolve a personal problem. Her bursting out in angry yelling at a person is not as uncommon as she’d like.

Ok, so in this I made the Distrust a center point, since it is such a powerful trait it is going to really define a lot of the other parts of her personality. She doesn’t trust people, doesn’t know how to talk to them, doesn’t get close well, so people think she’s boring sometimes, and she doesn’t really know how to deal with personal problems with others all that well and thus, she can at times have violent outbursts. Since I’m creating a XIA character, she’s not going to be truly violent and thus I qualified how I meant violence in the description to give it context.

Now I’ve got a paragraph that describes this particular character.

Detailed

If we go with detailed, we get a lot more information about what those words mean in this context.

Psychology: Alert and Ingenious
Self-discipline: Consistent
Lifestyle: Needs time alone, Successful
Social attitude: Dislikes being alone. Intuitive and Very high values
Honesty and honour: Will not control others
Emotional capacity: Generous and Warm
Current emotional state: Innocent

This is far more detailed and is more useful if a person just doesn’t know what to do at all, as it says what each of the words means in this context by telling what context that is. Reading through this, I see some striking things that can be center-points because they are unique traits.

Will not control others, Dislikes being alone, Needs time alone, and she’s Alert and Ingenious. Once again, we see a contradiction here. She dislikes being alone but needs time alone at the same time. This is a great place to start, but the idea that she will not control others in the context of honesty and honor is also an excellent place to begin.

I’m going to start with the alone-time. So reading the table, she has the social attitude of not liking to be alone but additionally she’s intuitive and has very high values. So, what do I do with that? I have to decide why – knowing this – she needs alone time.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her connections to others though she can get easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need time alone or in a small group of trusted friends to recharge, this is when she’s most comfortable.

Alright, so I’ve gotten that out of the way and resolved the conflict, she likes being social but too much social activity and she’s got to recharge so she’s not a social butterfly but isn’t a loner either.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her connections to others though she can get easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need time alone or in a small group of trusted friends to recharge, this is when she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is also always alert and observant of her surroundings, consistently demanding herself to be as aware as possible of what’s going on and this makes her very successful in her work along with her ingenious ability to creatively look for new solutions to problems.

Ok, so we’ve expanded on this. Knowing how to use some of these words is a bit awkward, such as using consistent in this context feels a bit weird. I get the concept of being consistent with yourself, but that word feels forced, so we’re going to cut it out and that also cuts out that extension to the sentence.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her connections to others though she can get easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need time alone or in a small group of trusted friends to recharge, this is when she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is also always alert and observant of her surroundings, consistently demanding herself to be as aware as possible of what’s going on and this making her very successful at reading a situation. She has an ingenious creativity about her, always having new ideas.

Ok, so I changed a bunch there, so the description flows better. Taking out the consistent part, I’ll see if I can throw it back in somewhere else later. Next I wanted to generalize her creativity and make use of ingenious, which is a very specific way to describe someone and brings about mental image of an artist of their field who thinks outside the box. I don’t know what her field is yet, so I’m leaving it open ended.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her connections to others though she can get easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need time alone or in a small group of trusted friends to recharge, this is when she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is also always alert and observant of her surroundings, making her very successful at reading a situation. She has an ingenious creativity about her, always having new ideas. Her moral values and character are very important to her, she dislikes being controlled and thus refuses to control anyone else, feeling to subvert someone’s free will is wrong to do.

Ok, so I used the interaction of two aspects with this one. First off, socially, it says she has very high values. Secondly, under honesty and honor it says she never controls others. These go well together and say that she’s a very moral person who has definite beliefs and that free will is very important to her and that these values are probably really important since they are so prominently listed.

The final bit is about being generous and warm, which, can fit in almost anywhere. She can be generous and warm to her friends but given what’s already been said about her morals and values, I think it is safe to say she could try to be warm and generous to everyone as part of that.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her connections to others though she can get easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need time alone or in a small group of trusted friends to recharge, this is when she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is also always alert and observant of her surroundings, making her very successful at reading a situation. She has an ingenious creativity about her, always having new ideas. Her moral values and character are very important to her, she dislikes being controlled and thus refuses to control anyone else, feeling to subvert someone’s free will is wrong to do. To others, it is important to her to try to be a generous person and show people a warm and caring side of herself, even though it is difficult sometimes. She feels if she’s nice to others they will be nice to her in return, and if they are not, at least she can say that she tried and that she’s consistent to not leave anyone out.

Ok, so that’s a really long personality description, and I found a place to use consistent. Since it is so long, it needs to be given a once-over for redundancy and succinctness and to make sure it makes sense.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, placing a high value on her enjoying connections to others. Although she can gets easily overwhelmed by too many people pursuing her attention at the same time large groups. This is rarely a problem as she’s intuitive enough to know when she will need She needs regular time alone or in a small group of trusted friends, to recharge, this is when where she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is always alert and observant of her surroundings, making her very successful at reading a situation. She has an ingenious creativity about her, always having new and intuitive ideas. Her Moral values and character are very important to her, she dislikes being controlled and thus refuses to control anyone else. feeling to subvert someone’s free will is wrong to do. ~~ To others,~~ It is important to fop her to try to be a generous person and show people a warm warmth and caring side of herself, even though it is can be difficult. sometimes. She feels if she’s nice to others they will be nice to her in return Feeling being consistently nice and kind with others will bring kindness back upon herself. and if they are not, at least she can say that she tried and that she’s consistent to not leave anyone out.

Ok, so a lot of changes there, moved some words around… Here is the final product.

Socially Lucienne prefers to be around people, enjoying connections to others. Although she gets easily overwhelmed by large groups. She needs regular time alone or in a small group of trusted friends, where she’s most comfortable. Lucienne is always alert and observant of her surroundings, making her very successful at reading a situation. She has an ingenious creativity about her, always having new and intuitive ideas. Moral values and character are very important to her, she dislikes being controlled and refuses to control anyone else. It is important for her to be generous and show people warmth and caring, even though it can be difficult. Feeling being consistently nice and kind with others will bring kindness back upon herself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.