Brainstorming on AI Culture

I’m starting to think about defining aspects of AI culture in general for the Blazing Umbra universe. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

I would like to bump this… It’s been about 5 months since I asked for input, well 4 and a half. We have some creative people here, I know we talked about this some on the server, but I would like input.

And there we are again, in the not-so-lovely-waters of politics.

Amonst themselves, I’d imagine some sort of very good friendship.

Politically, they might organized in their own party with a spokesperson.

I agree, I am not so good at politics and it isn’t something I like to wade into. Away from politics though, I was thinking more about how does the culture develop. What are their norms, what do they consider rude, what do they consider not-rude, the the minutia that makes a society unique.

I had this thought about how the AI’s can take multiple forms, there is probably some method which they would use to identify each other in different forms? It’s just an initial thought, but… A lot of our norms are taken from limitations of our bodies; in politics this idea that your thoughts are yours and private – is born out of the fact that we can’t read each other’s mind. I was thinking about presence for AI’s, in theory an AI could be in multiple places at once too, so like Pyxis could be on the bridge of the Galatine an as a hologram on Nimbus at the same time. Would that be normal? Would it be rude? Acceptable? That kind of thing.

I also just had the thought… Do AI’s have a concept for a God/Goddess or other supernatural / supernormal thing?

Presences:
The majority of the AIs in play are employed by Solas Tempus, right? The physical bodies of them would have Uniforms with names on them.
Foreign AIs… well, why should they be any different from humans? Unless the other wears a nametag, we don’t know either who we encounter until they tell us.

Most societal rules regarding politness stem from the fact that humans are quite limited in their capability to do several tasks synchronously. Computers and AIs do not have that limitation. That’s my reasoning when I say that doing multiple things at the same time while being interacted with is acceptable for AIs.

God/Goddess and supernaturals:
I picture AIs as extremely logical and evidence-based. Like Vulkans. (AIs and Vulkans would get along pretty well I think)… Therefore, the concept of belief is completely foreign to them. Since these programs have access to the collected knowledge of humankind and are born from science, I imagine that they are not religious at all.
They might have a sense of authority though, for the most capable AIs, such as HAL:

That’s a valid point, that begs the question; within their workings with humans / other biological races do they want to pass for human? That is, do they want the ambiguity. Obviously there is going to be a lot of personal preference there. I think to some of the documentaries I’ve watched about life in America before the civil rights movement. Some African Americans were pale enough to “pass” as in pass for white and hide their true heritage.

This brings up 2 related questions; is there any AI bias against (or for) AI’s in the society of the Concord? Also, do the AI’s feel a need (in general, as a group) to hide their nature from biological life forms and why? Doesn’t have to be explicit bias, many do come from lives of slavery, so far I’ve made the assumption that the Concord respects the autonomy of artificial life forms, but is that too much of an ask? If so, do we need to cast this through the light of history – are we obligated to express some systems of bias against AI’s that were once essentially slaves.

I’m going to agree with this. I don’t think an AI would be bothered by each other doing other tasks at the same time. I think humans (by humans I mean any biological life) would have an issue with it though. People don’t tend to like thinking of themselves as only taking a small portion of cognitive ability of someone they are talking to. We like to have attention focused on us for conversations, I think you’re right that it is because of the human inability to multitask effectively. I think of an AI as seeing no problem being on the bridge of a ship, working in their quarters, exploring a city, all at the same time. That being said, we should establish – how much can an AI handle doing at once?

It’s interesting, Vulcans are actually very spiritual, but not in the way of worshipping gods, but rather experience. This is evident in Star Trek 2 and 3 (Wrath of Kahn and Search for Spock) when Spock dies we find out that Vulcans will find someone to meld with and impart their essence into the mind of another so that they do not fully die. We see in the 2009 Star Trek there is the “Katric Vault”, as the essence of them is called their Katra (probably spelling that wrong). This indicates that the essence of the Vulcans is kept.

I see AI’s being similar to you do as far as logic. I would wager that for a formless or form-optional culture as an AI culture, they might have a similar reverence to memories and experiences. I think this might lend it well to an almost tribal sort of respect toward the elders and social / political authority in the group given to those with the most diverse experiences from which to draw on.

That depends on how dark we want to color this setting; On one side, if the Concord does not respect the autonomy of the AIs, we’re having more potential for stories.
On the other side, and I am looking on the wiki into established lore, it’d be a stretch for us to deny AIs autonomy. There’s the ALFRE, Turing Agency and the Artifical Rights Commitee. The infrastructure is there and working. Therefore implementing some sort of bias towards AIs would be a stretch imo.

That we agree on.

A computer does not overclock itself unless we tweak the BIOS settings, does it?
An AI should be smart enough to allocate its computing power accordingly and put tasks on wait if there’s a meeting to concentrate onto.

I kind of bring this back to the American legal system. In the law it says everyone is equal and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. The implementation of this though is bias, there is cultural bias everywhere, racism is baked into the system by the people who implement the system. We have amendments to our constitution and laws which state that you cannot discriminate on race and yet in the courts they do just that and on the streets, etc…

The question circles back around, how dark do we want Blazing Umbra to be. I’ve written it kind of darkly from the start as a contrast to this shining beacon of civilization that Starfleet / the Federation are really supposed to be in canon lore. We see examples of this throughout Star Trek TOS and TNG into DS9. In DS9 we do see a darker Starfleet and in Voyager we see more flawed people doing their best.

I kind of want the Concord to be it’s own beacon in some ways and yet, that does close down some story opportunities. At the same time, I don’t want to get mired into a racial issue allegory being that I am part of the privileged race and gender of my country – I think it would come off as very tone deaf. I’m not sure where the balance is, but perhaps, we should play it along the lines of micro-aggressions and flawed expectations without them violating any laws?

You’ve got a valid point. The question then becomes, what kind of abilities do we want to design AI’s to have at a basic level. Do we, as the writers, want to impose upon them this “one place one time” mentality that comes from our real-life experience of being unable to be in two places at once. With an AI they could, a hologram, 2 holograms, the android body, all that kind of thing?

Issue here is: We’re both white cis men. We’re the ones with the most privileges.
Some may take offense in our depiction of a flawed society;
I agree micro-aggressions are the safest way for us.

I say, we don’t *impose the AIs this “one place one time” mentality. Instead, I’d prefer if the AI notices by themselves when they overdo their computing power and adjust.

I agree with all your points JS.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.